Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Nov. 16, 2019 1 min read

Hulu is raising prices because it has a wholesale transfer pricing problem. If Hulu gross margins are zero or even negative, as some people report, then that's technically referred to in the finance literature as "messed up." Even if gross margins are in the teens that's "awful."

Rich Barton said Netflix knew that to be in the oil business it had to learn to drill its own wells.

Hulu brings to mind a restauranteur who sells hamburgers for fifty cents, which was less than cost, reying to an inquirer about negative margins, “I’ll make it up on volume.”

Reed Hastings: "We're not trying to copy others, whether that's linear cable, there's lots of things we don't do. We don't do [live] news, we don't do [live] sports"  https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.engadget.com/amp/2018/03/07/netflix-ceo-reed-hastings-live-tv-disney-marvel/ 

"Disney then bought Hulu. We feel very comfortable doing no ads, like Disney+.”

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.