Jennifer Gunter @DrJenGunter OB/GYN, appropriately confident, lasso of truth, Canadian Spice, I speak for no one but me. The Vagina Bible (bestseller! OMG). Jensplaining, NYT contributor. Nov. 17, 2019 1 min read

Today is #WorldPrematurityDay
I want to share some data and thoughts with you. First of all, we have to stop sanitizing the experience of prematurity.  https://parenting.nytimes.com/newborn/prematurity-baby-burden?module=editors-picks&action=click&region=2 

We must discuss the facts. Worldwide prematurity is the number one cause of death in the first month of life and the 2nd leading cause of death for children < 5 years. How this isn't being discussed daily by our so called "pro-life" government says it all.

1 in 10 births in the United States are premature. While most are what we call late preterm births (34 weeks to 36 weeks and 6 days) and they do have fewer complications than babies born very early, they have more complications than babies born at term.

Here is the breakdown of prematurity by gestational age. The earlier, the greater the risk of acute and chronic complications.

In the United States African-American women have a disproportionately higher rate of preterm delivery. While genetics may play a role, a lot of new research suggests that effects of discrimination are also a significant cause. We need to acknowledge this and address it.

Do not discount maternal stress (economic, social etc) as a the cause of premature delivery. A recent new classification system for premature deliveries (one that excludes multiples) suggests maternal stress is the most prevalent factor.

An excellent study showed the rate of preterm delivery could be reduced form 10% to 5% simply with access to quality, accessible prenatal care. The fact that every county in the United States is not trying to replicate this study angers me beyond words.  https://insights.ovid.com/crossref?an=00006250-200903000-00003 

You can follow @DrJenGunter.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.