Jennifer Gunter @DrJenGunter OB/GYN, appropriately confident, lasso of truth, Canadian Spice, I speak for no one but me. The Vagina Bible (bestseller! OMG). Jensplaining, NYT contributor. Nov. 18, 2019 1 min read

Nothing angers me more than self described “pro lifers” who are silent on prematurity. When you care about abortion at 24 weeks and not the baby who dies in the NICU at 24 weeks you are a forced birther. Call them what they are.

I made this connection while being driven home from the hospital after discharge leaving my boys in the NICU. There were forced birthers picketing about abortion outside the hospital and of course the size of the fetal parts etc was made to look like 26ish weeks. Like my boys.

At first I gasped. Because I had been sick and was confused and thought somehow they were screaming about my son who had died. I had sepsis and my brain was not quite right yet.

And then I realized, no, they don’t care about my son who died. They don’t care about my boys who might die. They just want to force people to be pregnant. If they cared about fetal life they’d be volunteering in the NICU.

Free, quality and accessible prenatal care can reduce the rate of prematurity from 10% to 5% in high risk communities. So many fetal and neonatal lives could be saved. When you don’t advocate for this kind go change but scream about abortion you are a forced birther.

You can follow @DrJenGunter.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.