Jim Pickard @PickardJE Chief Political Correspondent, Financial Times Nov. 18, 2019 1 min read

Audience member at CBI conference declares he will vote Tory despite being a centrist Remainer.

"I'm scared to death of the prospect of a Labour government in this country....I'd rather crash out of Europe."

Applause, loud shouts of "hear hear" from some delegates.

Audience unimpressed with Johnson speech though.

One delegate, a Tory voter, said: "He totally misjudged his audience. People look to him to be serious...but he lost the room with his kooky jokes, people around the room were saying: "Where the fuck is he going with this?"

Another delegate:

“I found it quite disconcerting listening to the PM, I found it confused and superficial, I didn’t want to hear that from my PM. What I heard from Jeremy Corbyn, whose politics and policies are 180 degrees from me, was...clear and I took away a clear message.”

Anyway here’s our @FT report by me and @DanielThomasLDN

https://www.ft.com/content/f055ff16-0a17-11ea-bb52-34c8d9dc6d84 

You can follow @PickardJE.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.