Twitter acquired Threader! Learn more

Sarah Mei
+ Your AuthorsArchive @sarahmei Software engineer & founder of @RailsBridge and @LivableCode. Currently stirring the pot at @SalesforceUX. She/her. ✨Twitter at the speed of parenting✨ Nov. 19, 2019 2 min read

If Marc & Keith were out here demanding the city spend money to keep their expensive cars from having their windows broken, then yes, I would absolutely call that out as entitled asshole behavior.

The company culture encourages that. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Not to get all fangirl about my employer - every company has issues. And the bigger the company, the more serious the issues.

But I have firsthand experience expressing unpopular opinions inside Salesforce, and I’m still here. So far😅

I’m still here by choice - because yes, I have enormous privilege. I don’t need this job. I could afford to not work for a short time, and I could get another job quickly. I am incredibly lucky, I’ve worked hard, and I have significantly benefited from race & class privilege.

And like everyone else with privilege, I am prone to using that privilege in ways that benefit me at the expense of lower-privilege groups. I’m working on that, on examining the privilege I have. I don’t always get it right.

But I try.

So when I see people with privilege who aren’t even trying, who are using it to demand resources they don’t need, who don’t seem to realize the responsibility they hold - like the tech ceo demanding city resources to protect his luxury car - yes. It pushes a button.

Is it _legal_ for a tech ceo to demand cameras?

Sure.

Is it _moral_ for a tech ceo to demand resources from a city to protect his luxury car, when those resources could be used to fight crime that affects people with less privilege?

No.

See, that’s exactly it. Demanding the police focus on YOUR problem takes resources away from crime affecting people with fewer resources to bounce back.

So yes: demanding law enforcement resources from a place of privilege can be entitled asshole behavior

Yuck. Equating “privileged people demanding city resources for property damage are doing it wrong” with “they were asking for it” is...pretty gross.

People > Property

I’m not in the mood to do Privilege 101 today, so I’m just going to leave this here so you can see how they use the word “entitled.”

Everyone is entitled to protection - my friend, that is a GREAT idea.

The problem here is that it isn’t true in practice. For example: black people are stopped, harassed, arrested, and killed by law enforcement at many times the rate of white people.

Rich people are also far more likely to get assistance when reporting a crime than poor people.

As a result, people in those groups have a moral obligation to a) work on the problem and b) be sparing and thoughtful in their use of resources.

You can follow @sarahmei.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Follow Threader