Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Nov. 27, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

25iQuiz: What's the LTV of a Disney+ customer? ARPU? Churn? Gross margin? CAC?

"Apptopia issued a report estimating streaming service Disney+ has reached 15.5 million downloads and generated $5 million through in-app purchases."  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEAJDXa3xpMHbhlbgE9bxWJMqFggEKg0IACoGCAowoPUEMKAjMP6Y1gU?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

What about Hulu? What are the unit economics? Why is ARPU so low?

"It seems the effective subscription price for Hulu SVOD is very low (and even with that, Hulu barely grew in the fiscal fourth quarter, adding only about 500,000)” net new paid subscribers."

Zen Riddles:

If someone is watching DISNEY+ on a free trial are they a "customer"?

Is the cost of that free trial COGS or CAC?

If a mobile operator pays the fee for the first year for a person, how much higher will the churn rate be and how much lower is ARPU?

25iQuiz: Draw a picture of the wholesale transfer pricing involved:

"Earlier this month Disney said the price of Hulu Live will be rising to $54.99/month from $44.99/month. But Juenger estimates Hulu monthly programming costs now come to $55/month."  https://www.mediapost.com/publications/article/343844/disneys-hulu-posts-nearly-700m-in-2019-ad-revenu.html 

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader