Josh Wolfe+ Your Authors @wolfejosh Co-Founder @Lux_Capital Trustee @SfiScience Santa Fe Inst Chair @CiPrep Coney Island Prep (Brooklyn) Co-Founder of Carson, Quinn & Bodhi w/ @ltwolfe Nov. 29, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

1/ Prediction + IDEA

The BEST teachers I’ve personally had—
(and observed as Chair of a school with 1,000+ scholars)

have been passionate PERFORMERS of their subject.

The ‘mute’ genius half of Penn & Teller @MrTeller was a Greek + Latin teacher before taking to the stage...

2/ There were 496 scripted TV shows made in last year—
2x the 216 series made 10yrs ago in 2010.

IF + WHEN the arms race in the Streaming Wars between Netflix, Amazon, Disney, Hulu, HBO, AMC, Apple + more...abates.

THEN there may be an ABUNDANCE of talented out of work actors..

3/ SOME but NOT ALL academic subjects lend themselves to ‘performance’—

curricula learned + performed passionately
can captivate + enthrall a student
just as an incredible theatric or movie performance may

Classroom setup could be
PASSIONATE PERFORMER paired w/ content expert

4/ It is a testable hypothesis.

Would a teacher who (for ex.) trained + learned Social Studies + gives a lecture—always perform better than an actor who was given curricula script to “perform”?

Might the latter engage students + make the content more memorable + exciting?

5/ This is NOT to devalue teachers nor public schools. My mother was a lifelong public school special-ed teacher + teacher trainer, I cofounded + chair a public charter school, and went to all public schools + believe teachers are heroes.

I just wish I had more that inspired me

You can follow @wolfejosh.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader