Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Dec. 13, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

Mobile operators are implementing dynamic spectrum sharing (DSS), which allows them to deploy LTE and 5G in the same frequency bands at the same time. "5G FDD devices supporting DSS will become available during 2020." This is an important tech for mobile.  https://www.nokia.com/blog/nokia-launch-dynamic-spectrum-sharing-solution-2020/ 

"To extend 5G coverage in millimeter wave bands, as well as low- and mid-band frequencies, 'Classically I’d need to re-farm'... DSS lets operators avoid those truck rolls and capex with its software-based functionality."

"The softwarization" of telecom.

https://www.rcrwireless.com/20190819/5g/dss-spectrum-5g-ericsson 

DSS is one example of how communications networks are becoming programmable. A software change implemented remotely over the network can deploy a new service. The hardware used is most often commodity "bare metal." This trend is happening now since "the G" is increasing by one.

Why is this important if you aren't a telecom investor?

As communications networks become programmable developers inevitably discover how to use them and new types of applications follow as a second order impact. Software expands like a gas to fill the available opportunity.

Wait! Am I saying that communications networks becoming more programmable via software will have more impact than networks getting marginally faster in some places as stand alone 5G is deployed? Yes.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader