Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Dec. 19, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

Simba: "Lured?"

Mufasa: "Gross subscriber additions must be greater than net subscriber additions given churn."

Simba: "A business must grow to not shrink?"

Mufasa: "The math is unavoidable my son. Churn is an embedded aspect of the Circle of Life."

https://news.google.com/articles/CBMia2h0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmhvbGx5d29vZHJlcG9ydGVyLmNvbS9uZXdzL2Rpc25leS1sdXJlZC0xLW1pbGxpb24tc3Vic2NyaWJlcnMtbmV0ZmxpeC1hbmFseXN0LWVzdGltYXRlcy0xMjYzODg30gFvaHR0cHM6Ly93d3cuaG9sbHl3b29kcmVwb3J0ZXIuY29tL2FtcC9uZXdzL2Rpc25leS1sdXJlZC0xLW1pbGxpb24tc3Vic2NyaWJlcnMtbmV0ZmxpeC1hbmFseXN0LWVzdGltYXRlcy0xMjYzODg3?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

Zazu: "Cowen analyst still expects Netflix to hit or exceed its fourth-quarter forecast of 7.6M subscriber additions." Blackledge wrote, "assuming a portion would have churned regardless of Disney+'s launch; incremental churn appears manageable."

Mufasa: "Iger will be amused."

Rafiiki: "About one-third of Disney Plus’ U.S. customers — or 8 million as of the end of November — are on one-year-free offer from Verizon for certain customers, while the remaining 66% are on paid plans, Cowen’s analysts estimated."  https://news.google.com/articles/CAIiEBEmxoD8HI4pp9EtpEiJh38qFwgEKg8IACoHCAowraj2AjC5-iIwqYhb?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

Simba: "Will churn of Disney+ customer acquired via the Verizon free offer churn at a higher rate?"

Mufasa: "Customers that aren't acquired organically will churn at a higher rate."

Simba: "Organically?"

Mufasa: "Acquired via word of mouth. Nothing to do with processed food."

Simba: "What do you think of these survey based net addition and churn forecasts?

Zazu: "What you get depends on your assumptions, any sample bias etc. Margin of error is like hyenas- a constant danger."

Mufasa: "Use a margin of safety based approach to guard against mistakes."

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader