Li Jin @ljin18 Consumer investing @a16z. Beijing born + Midwest bred. MBA dropout. Alum: Product @shopkick, stats & English lit @Harvard. Lifelong artist. Loves tech & corgis. Dec. 19, 2019 1 min read

Love this!

But--I find many companies/brands/creators profess to have community, when they really just have customers or followers.

To have a truly defensible community, I believe the following need to be present: high intentionality, P2P interactions, & UGC content.

Hallmarks of "real" community:

1) Intentionality: Members seek out the community as a destination, not just as part of a broader platform's feed

2) P2P interactions: Strong ties between members

3) UGC content: Members contribute content vs. just engaging w/ what's broadcasted

Not all "community" is created equal! More of my thoughts here:

and here on pulling communities off horizontal platforms:

You can follow @ljin18.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.