ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ ᴘᴇʀᴇʟʟ ✌ @david_perell "The Writing Guy" | Host of the North Star Podcast: perell.com/podcast | Writing at perell.com/ | Teaching at writeofpassage.school/ Dec. 21, 2019 1 min read

I’ve been in Mexico City for the past week.

Here’s what I’ve learned:

1) Mexicans have a unique talent for creating experiences like parties and festivals.

2) Mexico City has special lanes for public buses. Dollar for dollar, it’s the most efficient form of public transport.

3) Most of the Mexican food you’ll find in America is actually from Northern Mexico, so you won’t find many burritos in Mexico City.

4) But you will find tacos everywhere! Street food is the best way to experience Mexico City cuisine.

5) Mexico is a big country but it used to be way bigger. In the 1800s, it extended north into modern day California, Arizona, Texas, and New Mexico.

6) The metro system is the largest in Latin America, and the 8th busiest metro system in the world. 12 lines. 195 stations.

7) Mexico City has more police on the streets than any city I’ve visited, except for Jerusalem.

https://www.perell.com/blog/mexico-city 

8) San Juan Teotihuacan has more energy than any town I’ve been to in a long time

9) If you sold guacamole outside a Chipotle like this, you’d make a fortune

10) ~ 200,000 people lived in the city of Teotihuacan, and we don’t even know what language they spoke or why the city was abandoned.

Still... it’s magnificent.

11) If you’re gonna have cars in a city, add a tree-lined walking path like this.

The beauty adds color to the neighborhood and makes the cars slow down.

You can follow @david_perell.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.