Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Dec. 26, 2019 1 min read + Your Authors

25iQuiz: What is the LTV of a Prime subscriber?

"Amazon said the number of items delivered under its Prime free-shipping program almost quadrupled from a year ago."

"One of the hottest buys was: Glitter Globe Doll Winter Disco Series with Glitter Hair."  https://www.barrons.com/articles/amazon-stock-rallies-on-strong-holiday-sales-51577392774?refsec=technology 

Do you agree?

This LTV calculation for Amazon Prime from a few years ago is based on one set of assumptions by one analyst based on incomplete information.

ARPU: $193 a month

SAC: $312

Gross margin 29%

Churn 0.6% (customer life 167 months or ~14 years)

Discount rate 9%

Amazon isn't understandable if you believe its business model is similar to the manufacturer you learned about in "introduction to accounting." Also: trying to value Amazon’s Prime business with a P/E ratio is like trying to open a can of corn with a pickle. Focus on cash flow.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader