Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Dec. 29, 2019 1 min read

1/ "Think how much more we learn -and retain! - when a teacher doesn't just enumerate the step-by-step instructions but explains the principles behind them."

That's Michael Pollan describing Samin Nosrat approach in Salt Fat Acid Heat. Charlie Munger's mental models for cooking!

2/ At least with cooking following a recipe may give you an acceptable result. Charlie Munger: "I can’t give you a formulaic approach, because I don’t use one. And I just mix all the factors and if the gap between value and price is not attractive, I go on to something else."

3/ "Taste buds can perceive five taste: saltiness, sourness, bitterness, sweetness, and umami, or savoriness. On the other hand, aroma involves our noses sensing any of thousands of various chemical compounds. Flavor lies at the intersection of taste, aroma, and sensory elements"

4/ If you want to invest or cook "actively" you must learn the fundamental principles of the disclipline. Following a recipe to the letter is boring and annoying since you need all the ingredients.

25iQuiz: Should 90% of people buy index funds and follow a recipe when cooking?

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.