1) @MinionCapital suggested I go to Big Wave Dave Surf. Wish I could.
Funny/strange story about surfing, fear of sharks, a knife and Hawaii. First vacation I paid for myself as an adult was to go to surfing school in Hawaii.
2) I have a debilitating, irrational fear of sharks. So I had gone to an Army/Navy surplus store and bought an enormous knife with a sheath and bandolier of sorts to wear while surfing so I could defend myself from sharks. 👍😁
3) The knife hung diagonally on my chest. So I showed up for the first day of Nancy Emerson’s surf school wearing a swimsuit, a bandolier and an enormous knife.
100% earnest and ready to go.
4) Clearly a first for the instructors who were shocked. After I explained my thinking they made me take the knife off and threw it away telling me I couldn’t join the class with it and that it wouldn’t be any use (still skeptical of this btw 🧐😀).
5) So I went to surfing school in mortal fear. Made myself go into the water and surf every day as one of my many weaknesses is being a little (obviously not overly; otherwise no knife) vain abt willpower and rationality.
6) Vividly remember the fear and the feeling that I would be safe if only I had the knife with me. Guess I’m not as rational as I would hope!
Absolutely loved surfing but never surfed again.
7) Back in my lane tomorrow btw. I promise only stocks, investing, venture, technology. Vacation has me off my usual game. 😀
Also - it is strange that you can’t create a thread as a reply.
You can follow @GavinSBaker.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Since you’re here...
... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.