Gavin Baker @GavinSBaker Husband, Becky Painter. CIO, Atreides Management. Former PM, Fidelity OTC fund. investorfieldguide.com/baker/ No investment advice, views all my own. Dec. 30, 2019 1 min read

1) 5G is absolutely irrelevant. Really strange to me that this is a “theme” for 2020.

2) Prior cycles were different. 3G was foundational as it enabled the mobile internet. 4G enabled mobile video.

5G does *nothing* for the consumer; hence the IoT and latency focus. IoT generally low value applications; AVs are not going to rely on 5G connections.

3) And I am super skeptical that it will ever be a better experience given the high frequencies. Low latency and higher speeds are great until you can’t get a connection indoors. Yes, beamforming, MIMO, etc. but it is tough to get around the fundamental laws of physics.

You can follow @GavinSBaker.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.