Yashar Ali 🐘 @yashar New York Magazine/HuffPost Contributor Email: [email protected] Direct Messages Open Text/Call/Signal/Confide/WhatsApp: 310-795-2497. Agents: UTA Dec. 31, 2019 1 min read

My decade...a thread

I started out the decade working at the cab stand as an after school job. Made my parents happy. My father thought American kids were spoiled lazy. My mother was happy that the Ciceros who ran the cabstand came from the same part of Sicily she did.

At thirteen, I was making more money than most grownups in the neighborhood. But my parents didn't like that I was working at the cabstand once they realized what I knew all along...that working at the cabstand wasn't an after school job...it was my life.

People looked at me differently like I knew I was with somebody. I'd go to the bakery, even if there was a line, I'd be taken care of first.

One day, some of the kids from the neighborhood carried my mother's groceries all the way home. You know why? Out of respect

First time I got pinched this decade was for selling stolen cigarettes. I thought Jimmy was going to be mad, but he was proud of me for not ratting on my friends & keeping my mouth shut

It's been a great decade. What's next? Paulie told me he wants me to work at Idlewild Airport

You can follow @yashar.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.