More Soleimani thoughts, mini-thread:
1. Fallout. Iran was already committing acts of terror against the USA. If they continue to commit them, it will be portrayed as “new”, but it won’t be new.
The only difference is we have hit back.
I see no negatives in that.
2. If Iran is stupid enough to declare war it will be destroyed.
It has to try something, so I would expect some limited cyberattacks that will go nowhere.
3. Russia continues to do nothing, to look pathetic and to remind us all that “World War III” is a joke, just as @Mod_Russia are a joke
4. Few commentators looking at the danger of inaction. Inaction is also a choice. Passive acceptance of terror is more dangerous than a hard strike against it. How many future terror attacks did we avert by this?
5. You can’t quantify the second thoughts of militias and terrorists; you get no rewards for the attack that doesn’t happen; you get no credit for actions the enemy doesn’t take. But there will be massive beneficial effects of the death of these scum. You just won’t see them.
6. And that’s the point. All the bases and embassies not hit, all the military incursions not begun: you never see them.
I appreciate many friends have reservations about the strike on these dirtbags.
For the record, I have none. Zero. End thread.
You can follow @LouiseMensch.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.