ᴅᴀᴠɪᴅ ᴘᴇʀᴇʟʟ ✌ @david_perell "The Writing Guy" | Host of the North Star Podcast: perell.com/podcast | Writing at perell.com/ | Teaching at writeofpassage.school/ Jan. 06, 2020 1 min read

~ New article ~

Two general themes:

1) People don't think enough about what they work on.

2) Too many top people don't use their differentiated skill-sets.

"We are blind to the complacency that passes for ambition in modern society." — John O'Donahue

https://www.perell.com/blog/what-should-you-work-on 

Inspired by Steve Jobs and Jony Ive.

Love this quote.

One of my biggest learnings: ambitious goals are sometimes EASIER to achieve.

We don't need a 17th bottled water brand at CVS or a 28th CliffBar competitor at Walgreens.

We need our best and brightest people working on important problems that wouldn't be solved otherwise.

I once read that Stripe CEO Patrick Collision (@patrickc) ends meetings by asking two questions:

1) Is this the most ambitious plan you could come up with?

2) What would you propose if you had unlimited resources?

Love it 👏🏼👏🏼👏🏼

This is spot on.

“I have no rancor against lawyers, financiers or management consultants, but the pursuit of these careers seems like a misallocation of human creativity.”

@tylercowen

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/articles/2020-01-30/old-people-have-all-the-interesting-jobs-in-america 

You can follow @david_perell.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.