1) Superb. Value of videogame IP is rapidly increasing, yet still feels misunderstood.
It's the only kind of entertainment riding Moore’s law and has been taking revenue and engagement share from all other forms of entertainment for the last 40 years.
3) Undermonetization is even more striking given that AAA videogames are more immersive and have more ways to monetize than other entertainment mediums.
Moving towards F2P or hybrid F2P models is likely the way to improve monetization.
4) These are not hit driven businesses. The top 10 games are remarkably stable as @ballmatthew points out and they are arguably better franchises than the best movie franchises. CoD was the #1 seller every year since 2009 ex GTA/RDR years when it is #2
5) @ballmatthew's idea that gaming has now recreated all the elements that made TV so successful is powerful. Interested to see if it really is at a Fortnite created "cultural tipping point."
Regardless, Fortnite and smartphones are important new entry points beyond Nintendo.
6) Only thing I would add is that I do think the Witcher’s success will change how both media and videogame companies look at videogame IP for film and TV. Historically has been disappointing, sometimes to the detriment of the game. Not this time.
7) Still amazed that the 4 year old Witcher 3 and 12 year old Witcher have hit all time player count highs on Steam. Absolutely unprecedented for single player games that old.
8) And of course, being foundational for the Metaverse is the ultimate long term bull case for videogame IP.
The Metaverse/Oasis/Matrix is already here in the same way that the internet existed in the 1990s.
You can follow @GavinSBaker.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.