Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Jan. 07, 2020 1 min read

"Get your Space News here. Fresh Space News."

Another 60 Starlink broadband satellites on a Falcon 9!

https://spacenews.com/spacex-becomes-operator-of-worlds-largest-commercial-satellite-constellation-with-starlink-launch/ 

"The price of building and launching the satellites will likely run as high as $10 billion, according to one early estimate from the company. There are also technical hurdles, such as how to build user terminals that consumers will be able to afford."  https://news.google.com/articles/CBMiVGh0dHBzOi8vd3d3LmNubi5jb20vMjAyMC8wMS8wNi90ZWNoL3NwYWNleC1zdGFybGluay1zYXRlbGxpdGUtbGF1bmNoLTIwMjAvaW5kZXguaHRtbNIBWGh0dHBzOi8vYW1wLmNubi5jb20vY25uLzIwMjAvMDEvMDYvdGVjaC9zcGFjZXgtc3Rhcmxpbmstc2F0ZWxsaXRlLWxhdW5jaC0yMDIwL2luZGV4Lmh0bWw?hl=en-US&gl=US&ceid=US%3Aen 

Screen shot of 60 additional Starlink satellites tonight floating away together. From there they will be disbursed all at once to find their place in the mega constellation. They are designed to be able to bump into each other during this deployment phase and still be operable.

Starlink terminals seem to be mechanically steered in part at least. Will there be a dropout every minute or two (at 500km satellites move past you very quickly) since they don't have two antennas. What are the mounting guidelines? Bolt to a roof?

Unit economics are different if a truck roll is required. The retail cost of the terminal is critical to a business case.

There will be other solutions for moving antennas (eg, vehicles) using different technology like metamaterials. Cost will be different. Lots of trade offs.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.