1. Want to clarify something for some folks who are misrepresenting Iran and Iran is not like North Korea. Iranian citizens aren't brainwashed. A lot of what I'm seeing comes in response to Iranians who showed up to mourn the death of Qasem Soleimani
2. North Koreans are the most controlled citizens on the planet. Most North Koreans have no control over where they live & work. The citizens of North Korea are the most isolated w/ respect to news/info. That is not the reality that Iranians face by any stretch of the imagination
3. Are some government workers and students told to go to these events, without question. Are 1 million people ordered to fill the streets? Absolutely not. If the government had that power, you would see huge crowds for every event that the regime needs bodies for.
4. I find it puzzling why people think that in a nation of 81 million people, why 1 million people or hundreds of thousands of people would appear for an event that is at the top of world news for days?
That is just 1 percent of the population!
5. It is not crazy to think that 1 million people out of a population of 81 million are going to feel strongly that Soleimani was wrongfully killed.
Iran is not a cult of personality. Iranians are deeply aware of what is happening in their country.
You can follow @yashar.
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.
Enjoy Threader? Sign up.
Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.