Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Jan. 15, 2020 1 min read

"By using this free digital tool that costs us very little in variable COGS we obtain data about you which is useful to us in cross-selling other financial services to you. Each time you add a different service to our bundles the risk that you will churn is substantially lower."

My interpretation of what Jim Barksdale famously said during the Netscape IPO was that unbundling can be a cost-effective way for a business to build a customer base that can eventually be used as a fulcrum for re-bundling other higher margin services.  https://www.google.com/amp/s/25iq.com/2018/03/31/friar-tuck-financial-services-a-classic-unbundle-re-bundle-strategy/amp/ 

The cycle of rebundling seems to be picking up speed as business focus more on generating cash flow than the customer leads that result from unbundling.

Can you think of some financial services businesses that are picking up the pace on cross selling other products?

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.