Nicholas A. Christakis
+ Your AuthorsArchive @NAChristakis Sterling Professor of Social & Natural Science at Yale. Physician. Author of Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society. Luckily wed @ErikaChristakis Jan. 18, 2020 1 min read

Up is down department.

“Modifying the image was an attempt on our part to keep the focus on the records” the National Archives said.

National Archives exhibit blurs images critical of President Trump.  https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/national-archives-exhibit-blurs-images-critical-of-president-trump/2020/01/17/71d8e80c-37e3-11ea-9541-9107303481a4_story.html 

This story got a lot of attention but is moving to a resolution.

I think this is a good example of the problems that can arise when institutions have more then one “primary” mission. At the Archives it’s to “preserve history” and also not be partisan. I gather it was fear of the latter rather than focus on the former that got them in trouble.

And this in turn reminds me of the issues plaguing many universities today, as @JonHaidt has argued. If they have more then one telos, it can lead to losing sight of the core function.

You can follow @NAChristakis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader