Gavin Baker+ Your Authors @GavinSBaker Husband, Becky Painter. CIO, Atreides Management. Former PM, Fidelity OTC fund. investorfieldguide.com/baker/ No investment advice, views all my own. Jan. 19, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

1) "Pay by face" is easier to implement than "pay by palm." Even 5 years ago this was believed to be the future by many.

Instead, privacy concerns - highlighted most recently in the NY Times article on Clearview AI - are forcing "pay by palm."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/cash-plastic-or-hand-amazon-envisions-paying-with-a-wave-11579352401 

2) I remember one payments company telling me that you'd smile to pay with your Amex, wink to pay with your Visa, etc. They believed that these gestures linked to specific cards in combination with your face and phone offered an additional layer of security and flexibility.

3) So many tradeoffs around privacy.

Other than an inability to pay for anything with a credit card, the most striking observation from my last trip to Shanghai was seeing large numbers of 7-8ish year old kids walking home alone from school which I rarely see in America.

4) Apparently it is effectively impossible to kidnap a child in most large Chinese cities due to millions of networked cameras with facial and vehicle recognition AI.

Safety & convenience with obvious associated risks.

Interested to watch this debate evolve over next 30 yrs.

You can follow @GavinSBaker.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.