Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Jan. 28, 2020 1 min read

Asking whether 5G is "safe" is like asking whether upgrading an iPhone to iOS 13 upgrade was "safe". 5G is a new radio access technology. It is not a new radio frequency, but it can enable them. 5G is being deployed at frequencies lower than what is being used by you right now.

People giving opinions on 5G "safety" who don't understand the difference between a technology and a frequency reveal they haven't even taken the time to understand the issue. Stating that 5G has a speed of X without specifying the radio frequency and other factors is also wrong.

The exposure limits used by the FCC are expressed in terms of Specific Absorption Rate (SAR). Factors like electric and magnetic field strength, power density for transmitters operating at frequencies from 100 kHz to 100 GHz and the nature of the sources must be considered.

When Rakuten upgrades it's mobile network in Japan from 4G to 5G it will be a software upgrade. The radio frequencies and power levels will stay the same. Might they use different frequencies in the future? Sure. But that's another issue involving science.  https://www.fcc.gov/engineering-technology/electromagnetic-compatibility-division/radio-frequency-safety/faq/rf-safety#Q9 

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 500,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.