Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Feb. 07, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

1/ A doctor used a laser on a catheter to blast several of my left-side kidney stones to dust at 6AM today.

Howard Marks: "I’ve never heard [a patient] say, ‘The prospective return isn’t high enough to warrant bearing volatility.’ What they fear is the possibility of [death].”

2/ People who claim that innovation has "slowed down" ignore quality differences between my procedure today and one in the 1970s (start of the alleged "slowdown"). In the early days of this surgeon's career he cut kidney stones out of patients using a scalpel in a full operation.

3/ As everyone knows, Ureteroscopy with laser lithotripsy dusting settings of 0.3 Joules and 30 Hz or 0.4 Joules and 40 Hz were used.

As you also know, dusting stones works well for kidney stones in the 900 to 1100 Hounsfield unit range, which is nice!  https://www.renalandurologynews.com/home/conference-highlights/american-urological-association-annual-meeting/aua-2016-annual-meeting/aua-2016-misc-urinary-problems/laser-dusting-compares-favorably-as-kidney-stone-treatment/ 

4/ I was wheels down in an operating room today at 7am; discharged by 1:30.

This isn't real innovation for some "people with a hammer" though because: "total factor productivity."

That this "innovation has slowed" conclusion is nuts is understandable by a 12 year old child.

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader