Peter Adams+ Your Authors @PeterD_Adams Head of education team @NewsLitProject. Co-writer of The Sift newsletter: newslit.org/educators/sift/. Opinions = mine; RTs ≠ endorsements. Feb. 07, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

When I type "vaccine" in @instagram's search bar, every account its algorithm suggests that's visible is an anti-vax account. That's not just shameful, it's dangerous.

The first suggestion is the #vaccine hashtag. That's logical and, in theory, a fine suggestion. And lo! (as of last Sept.) if I select that for my search, I am served with a notification promoting @CDCgov as an authoritative source of info about vaccines.

This is good--certainly a step in the right direction--but even that notification **doesn't clearly state that vaccines are safe & effective**. So what happens to people who don't click the link to @CDCgov & instead head into the #vaccine hashtag?

Well of course that's going to be different every time you check the hashtag, but anti-vax accounts extremely active on the hashtag and consistently push highly emotional/provocative but widely debunked misinformation that, again, is overtly dangerous.

And what happens if you decide instead to click on one of the suggested accounts? The @instagram algorithm recommends an entire lineup of similar accounts for you to explore...right up top:

While the platform has definitely made strides (until recently it suggested anti-vaccination hashtags to people searching for the word "vaccine"), it has a lot of work to do. It will still suggest anti-vax hashtags if you start to type one--for example:

And the anti-vaxxers have taken a page out of the online extremists' handbook and started deliberately using alternative characters like cedillas and left parentheses to avoid platform filters:

#Teachers: We need to inoculate students against this dangerous misinformation trend. Teach them the facts about vaccines, and the dangers of anti-vax propaganda. Then get them involved.

Let them search hashtags & screenshot problematic results. Have them follow algorithmic suggestions (w your guidance), documenting the ways in which they're steered toward dangerous content. Report accounts. Create pro-vaccination memes & vids & post those to prominent hashtags.

Most importantly help them see that the issue of misinformation & the creation (& enforcement!) of meaningful, effective content standards by social media companies is one of the most important political issues of their generation--one w an enormous impact on every other issue. /

You can follow @PeterD_Adams.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.