[email protected]+ Your Authors @Jason angel: @uber @thumbtack @wealthfront @datastax @robinhoodapp @desktopmetal @calm @launch thisweekinstartups.com/ angelthebook.com/ Feb. 10, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

1/Something young people miss when contacting old(er) folks to get their counsel, money, connections, permission, distribution, or whatever it is they are seeking, is that older folks are busy, tired & over committed.

Young folks have nothing but time.

Here’s the best strategy:

2/Instead of asking to burn the limited time old people have left before they die with a “let’s grab lunch” or “can I buy you coffee” (charming, but out of touch), email them with an opening like:

“I know you’re swamped, so I will make this quick...”

3/Then ask a simple, direct, answerable question.

i.e. “We just hit $10k in MRR, you’re our dream investors & I would love to pitch you or someone on your team. Deck attached.”

Think deeply about what your goal is before emailing....

4/Do you just want to meet this person because you admire them? Charming, but a waste of time!

Do you want them as a mentor? Unlikely if they are busy.

Think strategically: is this the best person to advance this goal—or can I do this on my own?

5/Be brief & get to the point in all communications.

Say things in the shortest number of words.

Include links for backup information — don’t make an oppressively long email, as that decreases the likelihood of a reply.

6/None of this applies to me, I will take a pitch in any form from anyone at [email protected] but I’m a fast-typing, blunt extrovert

Most folks hate long “ask-y” emails, & many folks are introverts who find these emails their own version of hell (see @naval @tferriss)

7/finally don’t be annoyed or insulted if folks don’t get back to you; people have lives and priorities like family, business deadlines, their health, hobbies or even just sleep.

Play the long game.

You can follow @Jason.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.