Adam Klasfeld+ Your Authors @KlasfeldReports Reporter, @CourthouseNews: NYC+Int’l. RTs=What's it to ya? adam[at]adamklasfeld[dot]com PGP Fingerprint: F427 EE3B 6F05 E5D5 785B 775B 2C74 683C 219D 91DC Feb. 12, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

WATCH: Sen. @RonWyden presses Mnuchin on meeting with Erdogan and his son-in-law, both implicated in the Halkbank scandal, in the Oval Office:

"Is it just open season for sanctions violators in your Treasury Department?" Wyden thundered.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4854798/user-clip-wyden-presses-mnuchin-halkbank-open-season-sanctions-busters 

Hours later, when questioning turns back to him, Wyden keeps pushing Mnuchin for answers on Halkbank.

"You said that when President Erdogan asked Trump to go easy on Turkey, President Trump referred Erdogan's request to you."

"So my question to you is: Did President Trump ask you to intervene and assist with Turkey's sanctions violations?"

Mnuchin: "The reason why the president referred Halkbank to me and to DOJ was there was ongoing issue and the portion of Halkbank fell under my responsibilities."

Wyden prods Mnuchin again on the seven meetings he disclosed with top Turkish officials:

"You told me that there were seven meetings... Now, I know enough having served on committee, the Treasury Secretary is a pretty busy guy. Seven meetings! What happened at these meetings?"

Mnuchin hedges that "many of these discussions had nothing to do with sanctions issues or Halkbank issues whatsoever."

Wyden cuts to the chase of Mnuchin's reply: "Some meetings were about Halkbank. Some meetings were about other matters, based on your last answer."

(Adjourns)

Senator Wyden's statement on Mnuchin's "big admission":

"With Halkbank accused of the largest sanctions violations scheme in U.S. history, he discussed the matter directly with Turkish officials. He even met in the Oval Office with men directly implicated in the alleged crimes."

You can follow @KlasfeldReports.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader