Nicholas A. Christakis+ Your Authors @NAChristakis Sterling Professor of Social & Natural Science at Yale. Physician. Author of Blueprint: The Evolutionary Origins of a Good Society. Luckily wed @ErikaChristakis Feb. 18, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

This seems bad policy. It’s our DUTY to treat all human beings, & that includes murderers & other criminals & racists. We risk our lives to provide care in epidemics. What are bad words compared to that? What if patient has Tourette’s,TLE, or intoxication?  https://news.sky.com/story/nhs-staff-can-refuse-to-treat-racist-or-sexist-patients-under-new-rules-11937175 

This ad, for an episode of the hit TV show ER, showing an all-black medical team still trying to save the life of a man in full KKK regalia, is powerful precisely because it illustrates this fundamental truth about our duty as health care providers.  https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/emergent-situation/ 

Nor do I think a pharmacist can pick and choose which prescription to fill (eg abortifacients lawfully prescribed) based on their own morals.

Responses have fascinated me. How about this: just as I wouldn’t countenance a health care worker refusing to treat a homosexual, so too would I not support a health care worker refusing to treat a homophobe. Very nature of the health professions is about caring for *all* humans.

You can follow @NAChristakis.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.