Michael Seibel+ Your Authors @mwseibel CEO, Partner at Y Combinator #ycombinator [email protected] Feb. 27, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

As a founder it was hard for me to understand and acknowledge the humanity of an investor. I always wanted to treat them like a SaaS product or API instead.

Provide the correct inputs, get cash as an output. I felt so overwhelmed with just my teammates and users that I didn’t want to take any time to build relationships with other people. In fact I lost my friendships during this time as a result.

With more experience I’ve come to understand that this isn’t the way things work and especially at the series A and afterwards and investor is commuting real portion of their life and reputation when they write the check.

Interestingly I was told this many times when I was younger. I wasn’t missing knowledge, I just didn’t the world to work that way.

I wanted it to work like school. Submit the right answers and get an A. You don’t need to have a real relationship with your teacher in order to get good grades.

Now I encounter many founders at YC who are like I was back then. What has changed is the process of raising $1-2m seed round after participating in YC is a bit like school. Be skilled, make progress, tell your story clearly, and often you’ll get funded.

This is a double edged sword though because when it becomes time to raise a Series A, the game is just like it was 10-15 years ago. This often catches our founders by surprise even though we constantly warm them.

It feels like once you are a growth stage company that is far enough along, often fundraising reverts back to this funding as a service model. Show a good data room, jump on some calls or quick 1 hr meetings and then consider the offers and take the one that is the right fit.

I wonder which of these models is better (both for the founder and for the investor). The relationship model or the money as a service model.

But regardless of this question, great founders tend to be good at both.

You can follow @mwseibel.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader