Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez+ Your Authors @AOC US Representative,NY-14 (BX & Queens). In a modern, moral, & wealthy society, no American should be too poor to live. 💯% People-Funded, no lobbyist💰. She/her. Mar. 03, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

To defeat Trump, it is going to take progressive, mass-movement politics that expands the electorate and fights for working-class & marginalized people.

Turning back the clock may sound appealing to some, but we must recognize how we got here in the first place.

I understand disaffected voters because I once was one.

As a waitress, I’d watch pundits on TV talk about how we didn’t need to improve the ACA much when almost no one I knew could afford insurance. Or they’d talk about how great the economy was when everyone I knew struggled./2

And while folks on TV went on about how we don’t need substantive change in America because things “aren’t that bad,” I couldn’t help but feel lied to.

Mountains of student debt.
Friends working multiple jobs just to afford rent.
Not one person I worked with had insurance.
/3

There will always be people who make the case against transformative change.

But today our generation’s prospects are worse off than our parents’. Today people are dying bc they can’t afford insulin. Today the for-profit caging of people is normal.

I, for one, choose change.

You can follow @AOC.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader