Florian Krammer @florian_krammer Viruses, viruses, viruses and vaccines Professor at the Department of Microbiology Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai Mar. 05, 2020 1 min read

1) A brief explanation why some webpages/trackers have larger numbers of cases than your official state site or the CDC site (@AubreeGordonPhD enlightened me yesterday).

2) If a case tests positive at state level, it is not officially positive yet. It kinda is, and the state announces it as presumably positive. The media/webpages/trackers count that as positive.

3) However, the sample still needs to go to the CDC to be tested there too. Only once that result comes back as positive, it is officially counted. I am currently not aware if false positive rates for this process are communicated, but I assume that rate is low.

4) So, for now it is safe to assume that if the state announces a presumably positive case, it is positive. And real time information is very important right now anyways.

You can follow @florian_krammer.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 700,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.