Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Francois Balloux @BallouxFrancois Director of @UGI_at_UCL. In the pandemic era, where each day feels like a hangover Sunday, I (re-)tweet facts on #COVID, and fight disinformation from all sides Mar. 25, 2020 1 min read

Mini-thread: I wish to clarify a point about #COVID19 asymptomatic' carriers. Depending on the context/study, 'asymptomatic' could mean anything from 'truly asymptomatic' (i.e. carriers unaware) to patients not unwell enough to require hospitalisation (mild symptoms). (1/3)

Reported figures for asymptomatic #COVID19 carriers vary between countries. The most plausible figure for Italy is ~90%, whereas estimates for Asia tend to be lower (30-50%). These differences may partly be down to different definitions of 'asymptomatic carriers'. (2/3)

Past 'exposure' to #COVID19 as estimated though serology should not be affected by such 'definition bias'. Once the serological survey data will be available, it will be possible to assess whether there are regional differences in the proportion of 'asymptomatic cases'. (3/3)

You can follow @BallouxFrancois.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Threader is an independent project created by only two developers. The site gets 700,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Running this space is expensive and time consuming. If you find Threader useful, please consider supporting us to make it a sustainable project.