Felix+ Your Authors @c1truz_ Technical Lead at @vmray, focused on macOS. Opinions are my cat's. Mar. 30, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Ever wondered how the @zoom_us macOS installer does it’s job without you ever clicking install? Turns out they (ab)use preinstallation scripts, manually unpack the app using a bundled 7zip and install it to /Applications if the current user is in the admin group (no root needed).

If the App is already installed but the current user is not admin, they use a helper tool called “zoomAutenticationTool” and the AuthorizationExecuteWithPrivileges API to spawn a password prompt identifying as “System” (!!) to gain root (including a typo).

This is not strictly malicious but very shady and definitely leaves a bitter aftertaste. The application is installed without the user giving his final consent and a highly misleading prompt is used to gain root privileges. The same tricks that are being used by macOS malware.

See also @thomasareed

I just published a more detailed blog post about this issue, giving some context and summarizing the security implications  https://www.vmray.com/cyber-security-blog/zoom-macos-installer-analysis-good-apps-behaving-badly/ 

Zoom released an updated which fixed the issues I found

You can follow @c1truz_.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader