Tren Griffin+ Your Authors @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Apr. 04, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

3/ "But I see them made in a very foolish way all the time, and many people believe in them, no matter how foolish they are. It’s an effective sales technique in America to put a foolish projection on a desk. And if you’re an investment banker, it’s an art form."

4/ "Once Warren and I bought a company and the seller had a big study done by an investment banker, it was about this thick. We just turned it over as if it were a diseased carcass. He said, “We paid $2 million for that.” I said, “We don’t use them. Never look at them.” C. Munger

5/ "In 1985 a major investment banking house undertook to sell Scott Fetzer, offering it widely but with no success. Upon reading of this strikeout, I wrote Scott Fetzer’s CEO, expressing an interest in buying the business. I had never met him, but within a week we had a deal."

6/ "Unfortunately the letter of engagement with the banking firm provided it a $2.5M fee upon sale, even
if it had nothing to do with finding a buyer. I guess the lead banker felt he should do something for his payment, so
he graciously offered us the book his firm prepared."

7/ "With his customary tact, Charlie responded to the investment banker the about the book that his firm had prepared on the business: 'I’ll pay $2.5 million not to read it.'”  https://www.berkshirehathaway.com/letters/final1999pdf.pdf 

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.