Jack Butcher+ Your Authors @jackbutcher Recovering pessimist. Productizing myself @visualizevalue. Apr. 07, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Sell the dream, deliver the nightmare: (thread)

I was introduced to this classic saying a couple of years ago, working at a multi-billion dollar ad agency, and there is no better real-world example than Fyre Festival.

1/ It’s what happens when a market has bad incentives:

(Influencing people to buy things you know very little about for large sums of cash.)

2/ It’s what happens when there’s zero accountability.

(As Shaggy would say, “It wasn’t (just) me.”)

3/ It’s what happens when you operate unethically.

(When your “vision” prioritizes revenue over relationships.)

At a macro level, this causes insane events like Fyre festival, at a micro level, it erodes your reputation gradually, then all at once.

If you haven't seen either of the Fyre Festival documentaries, queue them up for a quarantine watch.

Absolute classics.

You can follow @jackbutcher.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader