Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Ashish "I'm still focused on testing" Jha+ Your Authors @ashishkjha Physician, researcher, and advocate for the notion that an ounce of data is worth a thousand pounds of opinion. Director @harvardgh. Soon, Dean @healthybrown Apr. 18, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Thread:

Its pretty clear that we aren't doing enough testing.

But how much is "enough"? There is no easy way to assess.

So over the past few weeks, we've been trying to take different approaches to estimate this number.

The first question is -- enough for what?

1/n

What if I want to identify all COVID19 patients?

That's easy -- test all 320 million Americans (assuming a perfect test)

OK...that's impractical

What if I wanted to capture "most" patients. It begins by first estimating how many people have COVID today?

Our estimate....

2/n

Our estimate is that there are about 150K+ new COVID19 infections in the US per day right now.

If we want to identify most COVID19 patients, we estimate probably need to be doing a couple of million tests today

3/n

OK -- that's also impractical.

How about if we want to "open up" on May 1? Then what?

We did a deep dive, talked to dozens of folks, and tried to come up with estimates.

We estimate, using a variety of approaches, that it will take well over 500,000 tests a day

4/n

Read more about our approach -- its still in draft form and is not a "research paper" but an outlining of our approach and thinking.

https://globalepidemics.org/2020/04/18/why-we-need-500000-tests-per-day-to-open-the-economy-and-stay-open/ 

We welcome feedback

One thing is clear to me -- we are likely underestimating the # of tests. May be a lot

We likely need millions per day as @paulmromer and others have said

500K is the floor. The bare minimum. I don't know how we open -- and stay open -- with less

Fin

You can follow @ashishkjha.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader