Tren Griffin @trengriffin I work for Microsoft. Previously I was a partner at Eagle River, a private equity firm established by Craig McCaw. I am on the board of directors of Kymeta. Apr. 26, 2020 1 min read

1/ If you know someone who's trying to figure out how to live a more fulfilling life, I urge you to suggest they listen to Bill Gurley's talk at the University of Texas: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYekD6-PZ8  That would include your children if they're old enough to be thinking about this topic.

2/

• "Take every chance you can to meet people that are known for success
in the field you have chosen.
• Ask them all the questions you can.
• Document what you hear, contrast it with what you learn from others.
• Try to have these mentors interested in your development."

3/ "• Develop deep relationships with peers on the same journey.
• Have discussions and debates about what defines greatness in the field. Don’t be afraid to argue passionately.
• Always share best practices, don’t worry about proprietary advantage. It’s not a zero-sum game."

4/ When you look back at someone's career you can always trace a series of connections back to their roots. The person met X who introduced them to Y and so on. This is true for Bill Gurley. The process involves luck but also work. When you give to X it leads to higher quality Y.

5/ My mom introduced me to Mary Gates, who said wireless was right for me, introduced me to Craig McCaw, to Michael Larson, to Mauboussin, to Bill Gurley and so on. Mary introduced her son to Warren Buffett, to his partner Charlie Munger who recommended Michael Larson to her son.

6/ Of course, there were many more people involved and many second and higher order effects that resulted in what Bill Gurley called a "rewarding life." Some of my recent podcast with Howard Lindzon is me talking about playing my life "forward and back."  https://podcasts.google.com/?feed=aHR0cDovL2xpbmR6YW5pdHkubGlic3luLmNvbS9yc3M&episode=ZjIzOThlMjMtODcxNy00MTRmLThmOWYtMWRhYTlkYzhiMDcz&hl=en&ved=2ahUKEwi7xrHooYfpAhWXGjQIHU_7D6IQieUEegQIChAO&ep=6 

You can follow @trengriffin.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.