Ashish "I'm still focused on testing" Jha+ Your Authors @ashishkjha Physician, researcher, and advocate for the notion that an ounce of data is worth a thousand pounds of opinion. Director @harvardgh. Soon, Dean @healthybrown Apr. 27, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

So some good news on testing. Thread.

It appears that we have finally started making progress.

Thank goodness.

For about 3 weeks, we were stuck at 150K tests/day. This was woefully inadequate.

Yet everyday we heard from leaders that we were doing enough. We weren't.

1/n

On 4/22, there was a huge spike. But it was just backlog getting cleared from California. False hope I thought.

But since then, each day, we've seen higher numbers.

It now feels like it wasn't a fluke

Thursday 4/23: 193K
Friday 4/24: 223K
Saturday 4/25: 300K!
Sunday 4/26: 256K

When you look across state, lots of states are up, from NY to CA to Michigan and FL. And small states too.

And the % positive -- a key metric to track under-testing, has been getting better!

4/21 -- 17.9%
4/24 -- 14.1%
4/26 -- 10.7%!!

3/5

A lot has gone into these improvements. States have worked hard to procure supplies, get more labs online

@cmsgov helped by raising reimbursement though suspect too soon to see that effect

States have been leading, but Feds finally helping too (so I hear from states)

4/6

Reality check of course is that this is still nowhere near enough.

We've estimated US needs 500K+ tests per day if we are to have a shot at keeping our economy open.

Others, like @paulmromer and @RockefellerFdn think its tens of millions per day

5/6

Recap:

Testing was stuck forever. Now finally starting to break loose!

4 day-trend gives me hope we may be making progress

We still have a long way to go. But progress!

If we can ramp up testing a bunch more, we can more safely ease distancing restrictions.

Fin

You can follow @ashishkjha.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader