Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Tuomas Malinen+ Your Authors @mtmalinen PhD econ. Chief Economist of GnS Economics. Adj. Professor of Economics @ Uni Helsinki. Economic growth, economic crises, monetary unions and central banks. Apr. 28, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

A lot talk about #COVID19nz today.

I am not an epidemiologist, etc., but let me explain, from an economist's perspective, what was done in #Finland.

Here, is where we are now 👇. I'd say the pandemic is under control. 1/6
#covid19finland
@MarinSanna @KatriKulmuni

The Finnish strategy has had four "pillars":

1) Early containment with suppression through both voluntary and mandatory social distancing
2) Safe-guarding the risk groups
3) Keeping the structure of the economy alive.
4) Building herd immunity (slowly). 2/

Whether these were fully acknowledged at the beginning, is unclear. Yet, this strategy is where we ended up due to, e.g., our strong constitution.

Spread has been subdued and fatality rates have been much lower compared, e.g., to Sweden.

While the economic hit has been... 3/

... massive, our economy has held up. Construction work has continued, stores have been open and restaurants have been able to provide take-away food. Bars and nightclubs and schools have been closed.

While group gatherings have been banned, there has not been any curfews. 4/

The spending patterns across the Nordics have been very close to each other. 👇

So, at this point, I would prefer the strategy of Finland over, e.g., that of Sweden.

Naturally, the final "results" are in only later. 5/

Now, we are at the critical stage of opening our society.

It's quite obvious that our economy or the mental health of our citizens cannot sustain lock-downs for long, anymore.

Thus, we know how successful the "Finnish model" actually was only later, but it looks good!
/End

You can follow @mtmalinen.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader