Charity Majors+ Your Authors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio; co-wrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤Black Lives Matter🖤 Apr. 29, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

yay, we've beefed up the honeycomb Free Plan -- and you can now sign up for it directly, without going through a sales trial! @fishmegs has a post on why this is so philosophically core to our mission: 🐝❤️  https://www.honeycomb.io/blog/free-as-in-honey/ 

specifically, we added to our free tier the ability to search and sift through your query history -- *and* your team's query history. the grooves you have worn into your system.

this is an aspect of observability that seems to get short shrift; we learn by observing each other.

that's why i'm digging @cyen's stroll down memory lane, with its reminder of some of the principles we baked into honeycomb from the start --

https://www.honeycomb.io/blog/sharing-context-across-space-and-time/ 

think about how this actually works when you are trying to understand something about your systems --

- "hm, this outage reminds me of a thing that happened last month when ben was on call... let me see what questions he asked Wednesday evening that lots of people reran"

when you're dealing with distributed systems, a part of the answer lives in your brain, and a part lives in each of your coworkers.

raw systems data is critical, sure, but even more meaningful? how you and your team interact with that data. *that's* where superpowers live.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader