Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

John Burn-Murdoch+ Your Authors @jburnmurdoch Stories, stats & scatterplots for @FinancialTimes | Daily updates of the coronavirus trajectory tracker | [email protected] | #dataviz Apr. 30, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

A big thank you today to the comms teams at health ministries who put out their Covid situation reports in a consistent format every day 🙏

I now have several scrapers running that turn paragraphs of text into a spreadsheet of key stats for the charts, saving loads of time 🤓

And a simultaneous big "no thank you" to the organisations who keep changing data formats, changing names of spreadsheet tabs, renaming columns etc, or simply discontinuing datasets 😒

(Apart from the heroes who DM me beforehand to tell me they’re making changes 😇)

That was light-hearted, but it does matter.

Thousands of people are working round the clock to make sense of Covid numbers, and data cleaning takes an enormous amount of time that could be spent on analysis, interpretation, communication.

Please help us cut down that time 🙂

You can follow @jburnmurdoch.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader