Steven Sinofsky+ Your Authors @stevesi ॐ • investing • advising • writing • with @a16z @boxhq @tanium @everlaw… • Writings @ medium.learningbyshipping.com/ • 📷•🧘🏻‍♂️• tweets kept for 90 days May. 05, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

It is the 20th anniversary of the ILOVEYOU virus affectionately called “Love Bug.” That was a long time ago, but the lessons learned were timeless—lessons about managing ecosystems and platforms, what’s it like to become an “enterprise company”, and customer trust. 1 of 6

2/ The story is one of many fascinating stories I was (mostly) lucky enough to experience during my time at Microsoft (‘89-‘12). While I love sharing snippets on twitter and in blogs, (news) I have been working on a book project that brings together these stories in one place.

3/ The title of the draft is “Hardcore Software: Inside the Rise and Fall of the PC Revolution” and tells stories, from my perspective, through lenses of teams, culture, orgs, and products, of what I experienced. The title comes from the 1980s recruiting poster (a BillG classic).

4/ While I await publishing to return to a new normal to resume the project, I thought it would be fun to share an excerpt from the draft on ILOVEYOU and the broad topic of viruses/privacy and how those led to systematic changes in building products—lessons relevant today.

5/ I had a chance to talk to the legendary technology editor @harrymccracken at @FastCompany. Click the link for the excerpt and an interview with Harry. I welcome any thoughts, comments, and otherwise. My inbox is open, as I have always said. 🙏  https://www.fastcompany.com/90500378/iloveyou-virus-microsoft-steven-sinofsky-book 

6/ Writing it has been a deeply personal experience. I spent months immersed in products and publications of the era, reliving the ups and downs of making C++, Office, and Windows with rich stories detailing early days of GUI dev to Clippy to Start Screen.  https://www.fastcompany.com/90500394/steven-sinofsky-shaped-microsofts-history-now-hes-writing-it 

PS/ It is almost crazy to think about, but within a week of the virus the US House of Representatives Science committee held hearings and questioned the antivirus industry and General Accounting Office on how could this happen.  https://www.c-span.org/video/?157059-1/love-bug-virus 

PPS/ Here’s the rest of the draft.

You can follow @stevesi.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader