Charity Majors+ Your Authors @mipsytipsy CTO @honeycombio; co-wrote Database Reliability Engineering; loves whiskey, rainbows. I test in production and so do you. 🌈🖤Black Lives Matter🖤 May. 13, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

my dear friend and college roommate has written her first medium piece, on the trials and travails of scaling k8s. it's a good one! (TLDR: "don't" of course)

oh jeez.. speaking of kubernetes. i have lately been slipped copies of multiple (!) pitch decks by scrappy young founders trying to raise $$ to build "observability for k8s" or "honeycomb for k8s".

which is.. great and all (really! validation!) except for one tiny thing:

your _runtime env_ isn't supposed to be the interesting part.

🥺YOUR CODE IS😳

your code is what is constantly changing & shifting, your code is what your users are interacting with in unpredictable ways, your code is what needs to be traced and profiled and understood.

the thing that _runs_ the code is supposed to be

📈DUMB AF.📉

your k8s cluster, container id, etc are just environment ids, a few k/v pairs out of hundreds, and rarely of great use when debugging. it's like saying you're going to build "observability for ec2 instances". 😑

i honestly can't tell if these kittens are missing the point or crazy like a fox.

like maybe what i needed all this time was to just play it straight like "observability is a k8s thing" -- really commit to it; then wait by the door with a barrel for all the cash money flows in.

You can follow @mipsytipsy.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader