Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

John Burn-Murdoch+ Your Authors @jburnmurdoch Stories, stats & scatterplots for @FinancialTimes | Daily updates of the coronavirus trajectory tracker | [email protected] | #dataviz May. 18, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I find the desire to plot Covid cases/deaths/R0 vs Brexit vote fairly unimpressive.

1) *So* many epidemiologically significant factors correlated w/ Brexit vote that u need *loads* of other vars before results worth looking at. Rural/urban, pop dens, age, grads. All confounders.

2) Geography. Some people are using the large regions (London, North East, Midlands etc) for this kind of analysis.

No thanks.

With regions that large you’re basically opening the door to the ecological fallacy and saying "Come on in! Make yourself at home".

3) At local authority level it’s not much better. As @MattSingh_ has shown, you’re still immediately and acutely exposed to the ecological fallacy

A good model can mitigate this (see e.g @benwansell’s work) but most of what I’m seeing ain’t that.

4/4) I also strongly suspect that in most cases where this is being done on a whim (rather than anything approaching a pre-registered analysis) we’re seeing a lot of:

"matches my beliefs — tweet it!"

vs

"hmmm not much of a pattern — guess I won’t share it"

You can follow @jburnmurdoch.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader