Karla Monterroso #CloseTheCamps+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella May. 20, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

Alums from our @Code2040 programs could absolutely make the choice (one that is very common in tech) to get theirs and never look back. Consistently our community chooses to engage. Tonight it was memories and financial support for the org. But I’ve seen it in so many other ways.

My #2040Memories are watching many a hackathon produce idea after idea focused on improving the feelings of belonging, the tracking of justice, and the expanding of networks for the folks unable to have the privilege of being in the room.

My #2040Memories are watching @chrisrodz35 constantly push @Ana_M_Medina to talk to me and other community members about what it means to choose a healthier workplace.

My #2040Memories are watching @kuntajts tell a reporter that he learned from the program that his job was to use his privilege as a man to stand up for the women in the community in the work place.

My #2040Memories have been watching @amyquispe but also MANY other slums advocate for policy changes in their companies.

My #2040Memories have been watching an entire Fellows class watch an LGBTQ identifying fellow discuss during a Welcome Weekend what it was like to experience the Pulse shooting and the whole cohort getting up to hug them.

And tonight, my #2040Memories is in the middle of a global pandemic, watching @xkaitlyncarter lead her community to share in joy and give what they can so more people can be in community.

This is why I believe so firmly in the capacity of our community to imagine a new world. Because they do it all the time, and then they do both the emotional and tactical work it takes to make it a reality. Thank you alums. I know a lot of us needed this right now.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.