Vincent Lee+ Your Authors @Rover829 Reuters China Breaking News Editor, sharing news by colleagues; opinions are mine, especially hate towards James Harden. Byline name: Se Young Lee. May. 26, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I see a fair number of comments about these rules. In the end, any change in immigration rules can seriously mess up anyone's legal standing in a country because immigration rules tend to be extremely opaque, unfriendly or takes a lot of calls/emails/visits to offices to sort out

I have the misfortune of having to deal with the INS/USCIS as well as immigration offices of China, South Korea and Singapore. I can tell you that all interactions or any work related to any of these immigration offices at four different countries is SUPER UNPLEASANT

With the exception of the INS/USCIS, I was dealing with the other jurisdictions with comparative position of privilege. But the problem I universally encounter is when I have a question or need clarification and try to get answers, I always get slightly different answers.

So...with the health exams specifically for returning to SK, Some questions would be

a) where can I get this test in country X?
b) what kind of a test do I need to get in country X?
c) how can I get the waiver thingy from the embassy? what do I need to show/prove?

The issue here is if someone were in a situation in which s/he has to leave South Korea for unavoidable reasons and then return, is there someone who can quickly, definitively and easily give the answers to questions a to c. I would be wildly surprised if it takes just 1 call.

Not really a hot take here, just a roundabout way of expressing some empathy

(and in practice I would also need to produce health exam report if I were to leave and then come back to SK)

You can follow @Rover829.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader