Karla Monterroso #BlackLivesMatter+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella May. 30, 2020 2 min read + Your Authors

I just want to note that only two CEO’s in Silicon Valley are donors for @Code2040. We have been around since 2012. Have placed, supported, trained, and mobilized significant amounts of talent. Have published and discussed the structural barriers publicly.

We had an obscenely difficult time selling fellows program spots this year, as we were told company after company had cut funding for “these kinds of initiatives”. And many had an expectation that we philanthropically subsidize the HR work of their workplaces.

Which is in essence asking Latinx and Black people to do that work, not just for free, but at the cost of their labor in fundraising.

I welcome anyone into this conversation and am glad to see you engage. And there are actual experts at the intersection of racial equity and technology. Amazingly, we have groundhogs day every time the country explodes from the injustice.

We are a segregated sector because high wage work in America is segregated. And for all the belief in big ideas and the ability to change the world, this sector has refused to do the hard work of integrating its workforce.

I’ve had to get significant funding out of New York City because the people here will not fund us. Not at the levels that make change. Not without conditions stipulating we do not do movement building work.

And I’m quite frankly done with pretending that we are in this situation because we don’t know what to do. We refuse to fund what there is to do. We refuse to make the hard changes that would make a difference.

We would rather not upset the white supremacists, their president, and their adjacent devils advocate bro’s. And you know what, I’ve accepted that on some level and am working to create infrastructure that integrates us anyway.

But I can’t pretend it hasn’t been without the support of an industry that keeps being puzzled about why we are so segregated.

Oh and only 1 VC in the whole valley donated to us as well.

In the 22 hours since I've tweeted this, I've had a number of different people ask if this is true. People have asked my board members if this is true. They have gone onto our website and combed our donor list to verify if this is true.

I understand how shocking it is, and I want to lovingly say, in the time you take to verify information (which you are free to do), you could call a prison and demand that protestors are released. You could choose to believe me and choose to make your movements about liberation.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader