Note: This thread is related to #Coronavirus #COVID19

Follow the World Health Organization's instructions to reduce your risk of infection:

1/ Frequently clean hands by using alcohol-based hand rub or soap and water.

2/ When coughing and sneezing cover mouth and nose with flexed elbow or tissue - throw issue away immediately and wash hands.

3/ Avoid close contact with anyone that has fever and cough.

Karla Monterroso #BlackLivesMatter+ Your Authors @karlitaliliana CEO @CODE2040, Board Chair for @1Deg, @USC alum - Connected, passionate, heart-driven, wanderlust, change maker. #WiseLatina 🇬🇹🇲🇽 PN: she/her/ella May. 31, 2020 1 min read + Your Authors

I’ve had quite a few people both tweet and DM me about the “call the jails and demand release” spreadsheet asking me “Should we allow those folks to be released if they are the people who are outside agitators. Shouldn’t they be punished? What if we release the wrong people?”

I am nascent in my abolition journey but what I have unpacked for myself at this point is this - if we respect these protests for what they are - the pushback to overreach of the state to employ disproportionate and often lethal punishment of Black people -

We MUST see how the whole system is not just. Must. And if we accept that, we must accept that whiteness will protect many outside agitators while putting Black protestors in prison.

And if we accept that, then it becomes easier to see that ESPECIALLY right now, incarceration is likely a Covid sentence. Which given the statistics about Covid death can be a death sentence for Black people.

We cannot love Black people and be worried that if we ask for freedom for Black people “some of the people might not ‘deserve’ it”. And that is what we do when we hesitate to demand release from jail.

And in ANY circumstance, death is not, is not, is NOT the punishment we should be comfortable with for property damage. And often as we start to unpack our own instincts for punishment, we don’t ask questions like “do I think x should happen for y?”

We trust the systems instinctually in some ways to punish the deserving. But not only do we know they do not do that, we know they often incentivize more and more pain. We are not free until we are all free.

I feel really grateful to have learned from so many Black abolitionists on here. I recommend you follow @prisonculture, @ClintSmithIII, @BreeNewsome, @jduffyrice, and many others. And not talk, just read and learn.

You can follow @karlitaliliana.

Bookmark

____
Tip: mention @threader_app on a Twitter thread with the keyword “compile” to get a link to it.

Enjoy Threader? Sign up.

Since you’re here...

... we’re asking visitors like you to make a contribution to support this independent project. In these uncertain times, access to information is vital. Threader gets 1,000,000+ visits a month and our iOS Twitter client was featured as an App of the Day by Apple. Your financial support will help two developers to keep working on this app. Everyone’s contribution, big or small, is so valuable. Support Threader by becoming premium or by donating on PayPal. Thank you.

Follow Threader